When Death Knight class was introduced to WoW many of us were really surprised by the versatility and capability that this class brings. After a while, this class was getting famous for its massive DPS output and tanking abilities.
And, as we all know, there are three types of Death Knights in WoW:
Today, we are going to discuss everything you need to know in order to master Blood Death Knight!
So, without further ado, let’s see why this specific class of Death Knight is so famous and how to play it!
Blood Death Knight in Shadowlands 9.1.5
Before we start with the important stuff, it’s crucial to mention every change that this class went through. Also, we will get to know the most important abilities and covenant changes that were introduced in the 9.1 update.
What’s Different in 9.1.5
When the new patch arrived, our attention was mostly focused on game details and gear. However, there are some changes that affected each class.
Therefore, the Death Knight class was also ‘’under the attack’’ by these changes, especially the Blood kind. Here are some of the most noticeable changes you should be aware of:
- Changes of the Core Abilities
The most important change for Blood Death Knight is the 6 percent buff for damage when any ability is triggered. This means that you can now easily count to deal massive damage even if you tank!
The second big change is related to the Anti-Magic Zone. Namely, this is a totally different ability now as it’s completely changed. Now, this is an absorb-like ability that capes at 150%.
- New Covenant Goodies
With the patch comes great new stuff that’s directly related to both cosmetics and stats. So, for Blood Death Knight, there are four amazing new legendaries available in the Covenant part. Of course, there is one legendary for each specification and class.
Let’s take a look at them:
- Final Sentence – This one is super interesting legendary as it does absolutely nothing when it comes to single target use. This one is specifically made for AoE in mind!
- Abomination’s Frenzy – The duration of your Abomination Limb’s is boosted now for 4 more seconds. Now, Bone Shield will be more powerful!
- Rampant Transference – Empower yourself with this one as it increases your strength buff and duration for 2 seconds.
- Insatiable Hunger – Feel free to let yourself wild and play a bit recklessly since this item will allow you to. This item will help you heal faster and more, the only thing needed for you is to deal damage!
There you go! These are the most impactful changes for Blood Death Knight in 9.1.5
Now, let’s get to a bit more interesting part where we will discuss how to play Blood Death Knight in 9.1.5!
Let’s Gear Up!
As you might assume, gearing up in Shadowlands is quite crucial for activities, no matter the type. So, in order to excel greatly in some activity, you might need to consider using a special kind of gear.
This means that you can’t use the same gear for doing Raids and Dungeons. Also, as we all know, PvP gear is useless in the open world, the same goes for standard gear in the PvP section.
The truth is that there isn’t one Best in Slot gear here! You need to prioritize what’s important to you and gear accordingly.
Therefore, the best option is to collect Raid Drops and prioritize them. These items dropped in Raids are usually found in Mythic Dungeons. Here they are:
- Sanctum of Domination Gear
Once you reach this part of the game, you will quickly realize that gearing up with the items that have the same level of power is important!
In that light, we will list some of the best items found here:
- Head – Valorous Visage of Krexus
- Chest – Cuirass of the Lonely Citadel
- Neck – Shadowghast Necklace
- Shoulder – Spires of Broken Hope
- Back – Self-Replicating Tissue
- Belt – Disintegration-Proof Waistband
- Trinkets – Old Warrior’s Soul
- Weapon – Jaithys, the Prison Blade
- Legs – Agatha’s Gothic Greaves
- Boots – Greaves of Haunting Ruination
- Bracers – Vyraz’s Parade Cuffs
- Gloves – Kyra’s Unending Protectors
- Ring – Oscillating Ouroboros
These items are ideally the best possible pick for Blood Death Knight. Also, in case you don’t find them all, you can always replace the missing piece with another item that has the best value.
- Shards of Domination Gear
When it comes to Shards of Domination gear, the situation is a bit complicated. Meaning, you need to unlock the Blood set, that’s the point!
So, it’s highly recommended to use Shards of Rev and Shards of Jas. These gems are very important since they will help you boost the maximum value out of your head piece.
However, in Mythic+ Scenario, you would want to go with these gems:
- Shard of Cor
- Shard of Dyz
- Shard of Zed
- Shard of Bek
As you can see, these are the must-have gems as they will improve your game significantly.
Anyhow, shards are fun, but here’s the most important thing you need to know about Mythic+ gear for Blood Death Knight. That’s right, we’re going to see the best gear in general when it comes to Mythic+
- Helm – Darkfrost Helmet
- Neck – Sin Stained Pendant
- Shoulders – Vile Butcher’s Pauldrons
- Cloak – Blighted Margrave’s Cloak
- Chest – Abdominal Securing Chestguard
- Bracers – Pit Fighter’s Wristguards
- Gloves – Fleshfused Crushers
- Belt – Scarred Bloodbound Girdle
- Legs – Halkias’s Towering Pillars
- Boots Sabatons of the Rushing Juggernaut
- Ring Ritual Bone Band
- Weapon Rimebinder’s Runeblade
On top of everything we said now, it’s also important to mention trinkets. So, let’s give it a look now.
- Trinkets for Blood Death Knight 9.1.5
When it comes to value, trinkets are usually one of the most situational items you can acquire. Meaning, they can be a lifesaving item, but they can also mean nothing on some special occasions.
In that light, we will divide this section into Defensive & General trinkets.
For someone who’s going to do a hell of lot of tanking and damaging its opponents, defensive trinkets can mean a lot! Some of the best Defensive Trinkets for Blood Death Knight are usually the ones that are useful at Mythic+ activities.
Therefore, you can always count on Splintered Heart of Al’ar and Reactive Defense Matrix as they are both great to have. These trinkets will trigger a lot more than any other, and on top of that, you can absorb a huge amount of damage with them.
Next, it’s a good idea to have Shard of Annhylde’s Aegis or Weave of Warped Fates. They are both great in their own way. For example, you can literally cheat death with Weave of Warped Fates.
General Trinkets for Blood Death Knight 9.1.5
First of all, we must say that there are lots of trinkets to choose from when it comes to Blood Death Knight. However, we will make the list short with only some of the best options you can choose from.
Here’s the list:
- Tormented Rack Fragment
- Salvaged Fusion Amplifie
- Decanter of Endless Howling
- Reactive Defense Matrix
Before you make your choice, note that each trinket is good for a special situation. Therefore, think smart and choose the one that suits you the most!
Which Race Should You Choose?
First of all, it’s crucial to know that Death Knights can be basically any race in the Shadowlands. This means that you can choose from Taurens to Humans, and still be able to make a great character.
Even Pandaren is available to play Death Knight right now, and that’s why makes this class so beautiful and versatile. Also, there’re some racial benefits you can experience if you choose the right kind.
In that light, let’s see which races are the best for Death Knights and why.
- Being a Horde Member
The first and most interesting racial benefit comes from Vulpera. This race is providing you the ability to have Nose for Trouble. This is a great absorb ability that can save lives if you like charging in with your character.
Next is the Blood Elf, this one is especially good if you’re playing Blood Death Knight. Namely, you can get the Arcane Torrent. This will allow you to boost your offensive abilities as you can now dispel every buff from an enemy!
- Being an Alliance Member
As for the Alliance, Dwarfs are doing pretty great with their Dark Iron Dwarf ability. This will allow you to remove all debuffs from your character, the cooldown is 2 minutes.
Talents are Important!
Moving on with the Blood Death Knight guide, we will talk about talents a little bit. Here, you will find the most valuable talents for both Mythic+ and Raid activities.
Mythic+ Talent tree
The first important thing to pick is the Heartbreaker. Now, most players will go with the Blooddrinker, but Heartbreaker is actually so much better. Since you’re going to tank, you might as well benefit from being hit every time you face your opponent.
Next is the Blood Tap talent. That’s a must-have since it’s going to ensure you have a solid rune regeneration.
Another great talent is Grip of the Death, you absolutely must pick this one. With it, you will be able to kite a lot in Mythic+ dungeons.
On top of that, you can benefit a lot from the Voracious as well. With this talent you can easily heal up every once in a while.
The last tier is actually the most interesting part. We recommend picking Red Thirst. This talent will provide a much better cd on Vampiric Blood and therefore more heal!
Strengths and Weaknesses
The most important fact you must face when it comes to WoW, in general, is that each class has its strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, Blood Death Knight also is a pretty versatile class when it comes to this section.
Even though this is a tank class, damage dealing is not that bad as well. And, as you might assume, this class is super fun to play in Mythic+ activities. Also, it does not excel badly at all in Raid activities too.
So, here are some of the most noticeable pros and cons of Blood Death Knight.
Strength and Powerful sides
- Sustain –This class is simply made for self-sustain and therefore you can tank a lot of damage.
- Immune to Knockback – As you already know, Blood Death Knights are immune to Knockback so you can benefit from that as well.
- Anti-magic Shell – Probably the best for debuffs against magic spells and magic damage in general.
- CONTROL UNDEAD – This is a special ability that grants Death Knights a certain power on one else possesses.
- Strong Utility in Groups – You can always expect a very strong resistance and power if you choose this class.
- Purgatory – Even though this is not a number one picked talent in the top tier, it’s still a useful thing to have in case you want to ‘’cheat death’’.
Weaknesses and Bad sides
- Mobility – This class is simply not that great when it comes to mobility and movement. But again, you don’t need it because you need to stand your ground!
- Issues with Health – Even though this is a tank class, the health problems are still present.
- Not that damage-oriented – Blood Death Knight is not damage oriented class.
There you go! These are the most important and noticeable strengths and weaknesses that Blood Death Knight has in 9.1.5.
In case you were wondering why is Death Knight, especially Blood type, so special, then take a look at this. We prepared a unique list of special aspects that this class is rich with.
- Manipulative Nature – Death Knight is a known manipulator of energy and corruption. Therefore, he can survive the most on the battlefield.
- Runes and Runic Power – There are a ton of talents and items that boost Runic Power regeneration, especially with Blood Death Knight.
- Bone Shield – When it comes to rotation, this class simply excels at it! So, you can choose to play it the way you like, not the way you have to.
- Mounts – Mounts are supper interesting and really funny to ride. On top of all benefits, you can also enjoy being on a mount.
- Armor – Blood Death Knight is specially designed with armor in mind! Make sure to reap benefits from that.
Most players will only look at the good sides, but, you actually need to know the weaknesses of your character. Therefore, it’s important to learn as much as you can.
Luckily, we’re here to explain.
Playing Blood Death Knight in 9.1.5 is not easy, but it’s super fun and rewarding! With just a couple of hours spent in preparation, you can actually make a really strong character.
We surely hope that this guide helped you decide what talent to pick, or how to prioritize your gear! With every Blood Death Knight on the field, not one enemy is safe.